Friday, December 30, 2016

It was nice knowing you, 2016.

With 2017 around the corner, I can't help but be excited. Many people have been saying that 2016 has been a horrible year and they want it to be over. But I notice people say that about every year for some reason. Besides some political crap going on in the world and a rough start due to my parents, 2016 was a good year for me.

I had quit my crap job at the car dealership and enjoyed my last few months in California with friends and family. I even got to shoot with one of my favorite models, Alysha Nett and was able to capture some of my most favorite shots ever. And then, I set off to Japan working as an ALT and an English teacher at a private school.

I've met some students that I really love and some that really bug the shit out of me, but that's kids for you. I love my bosses, and I love my friends and my life in Japan.

I've been getting my tattoos, traveling within Japan, meeting up with old friends and making new ones. And being here in Japan has helped me learned more about what I want for myself in the future. I really loved 2016, I was hoping to make the most of it and I feel like I really did.

Some lessons I learned this year and advice for the new year?

It is all about timing. You can meet someone that is everything you ever wanted in a relationship but if the timing is wrong it won't work out. It's sucks, but it's okay. That's life, and you learn from everything. Just appreciate what you have and never forget to settle for anything less now that you know it's possible to receive unconditional love. Don't be so hard on yourself for not being in the right frame of mind to settle down, it isn't you, it's the timing. 
Putting yourself first does wonders. Not having to run your life by anyone and just living it without anyone's validation is something you should strive for. As long as you are not hurting anyone and you're doing it in a healthy way. Being able to think about your life choices without anyone putting their unnecessary opinions makes thing so much easier. Try to remember to do this when you no longer have the distance to help you do this. Remember to live your life for yourself, always.
Don't compare your life to others. People want different things. You tell yourself this all the time, so just listen seriously. This lesson will probably take forever to learn and will be a yearly thing but I will be here to keep reminding you. Do what you want, don't look to see where other people are in life. It's not a race, and no one is the same. Chances are, you guys don't even have the same goal. Just do what you feel is right for you. And as long as you're happy, nothing else matters. 
Give big decisions the time they deserve. Don't stress or over think. Just give it the time it needs, especially since this decision can change the rest of your life. It may seem like common sense, but sometimes you are so worried you're wasting time you tend to stress and think about what you should be doing. But my dear, you will waste more time making a rash decision and regretting the choice later. So, take your time.
It's okay to not have it all figured out. I know, another common sense one. But you're used to having a goal and having a plan of action to reach your goal. This is the first time you're unsure about your future. All you know is you want a job you enjoy, an apartment of your choice in a city you like, your tattoos, and a motorcycle for a small escape, and you know what? That's enough. You'll figure out the rest. You always do. Go with your gut instinct as always, and be patient. Enjoy what you have now.

I'm so grateful for 2016. Looking back on what I wanted last year was I wanted to make the most of 2016 and become more of the person I wanted to be and I have done that. I'm content with where I am in life. For 2017, I just want to solidify my plans for my future, make some good memories, and make the most of my time in Japan.  I'm looking forward to 2017, though I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit scared for what's in store. All I can do is hope for the best!

No comments :

Post a Comment