Thursday, July 28, 2016

JALT, Costco, and Life Lessons.

Sunday, July 24th, 2016

I was invited by my boss to go to this education seminar, it was being hosted by JALT which I previously heard of in my teaching English as a second language class. I really wanted to do something, and missed being in a classroom setting so I decided to go.

My boss picked me up around 12:30 and we headed out to Gunma. It was held in a university in Maebashi. There's definitely more there than in Minano to be quite honest.

After getting a bit lost, we ended up in the right building where we were welcomed by other foreigners in Japan, most of them were much older and would be considered veterans. Tbh, I wasn't too interested in the topic. It was about exploratory practice which is about conducting research with your students to help establish a better quality of life if I remember the topic correctly. I don't plan to teach English as a career so although I did listen, it wasn't of interest to me. But I loved hearing other people's opinions and critiques on the subject.

There was a 15 minute break, which seemed much longer. I got to talk to several people who had been living in Japan for 20+ years. They were asking me questions about my future plans since I was one of the youngest there, and talking to them was able to help me figure out a bit more what I want to do.

I also met another ALT, we'll call her Anne. She was contracted by Interac and is working is a really small town in Gunma that apparently no one has heard of. But I think Minano is about the same. But when I told everyone I lived in Chichibu they said it's a great place! Besides snobby Tokyo people, most people say how great of a place Chichibu is. And I agree, for it being in the country side, it couldn't be any better!

After the break and further discussion the seminar was over. My boss asked me if I wanted to check out Costco since we were in Gunma and of course i said yes. My little sis was just telling me how she wanted me to go to Costco in Japan.

Costco in Japan is pretty much exactly the same as in America, so it was nice to get a little bit of home in Japan. I bought lots of food, tortilla chips, cereal, and chia seeds being the things I was most happy about.

We also ate in the food court. I got a bulgogi bake since it's not something you can get in the US and an acai smoothie which is pretty similar to the berry berry smoothie but just not as sweet!

Afterwards, it was a bit of a drive home with traffic but me and my boss talked the whole way. I love my boss, she's like an older sister, aunt, friend, all in one. She really takes care of me and it's nice to have a fellow american to talk about controversial topics going on in the world. She was also giving me life advice that really resonated with me. And I plan to follow it. Sometimes, its nice to get advice from someone who isn't too close to you. You get more of an objective perspective. She made me feel a lot better, but gave me a bit more to think about.

No comments :

Post a Comment