Saturday, March 5, 2016

Reasons for Moving to Japan.

Several people ask me why I'm moving to Japan, so I thought it would be good to just have a post to answer this. Most of my readers who've been following me for a while understand why but maybe there are some new readers that are curious. Also, I asked so much, sometimes it good to have it somewhere I can just redirect people to for when they do ask.

I like Japan. I mean, I didn't study East Asian Cultures and study abroad in Japan for nothing. Why I like Japan is a whole other post, but I really enjoyed my experience there and felt like I wasn't done with Japan after my study abroad experience. I enjoyed how I lived my life and I wanted to come back to explore more of the country.  
I got a job right out of college. I was applying for jobs in California and Japan and depending on which job I landed first and was better was going to determine where I would end up. I ended up getting a good job in Japan where I can support myself, have a place of my own (yes, that means no roommates), pay my loans, and still have some left over cash to go out with friends. Whereas, in California I found a job that basically paid minimum wage, I was still living at home with my parents, and if I did move out I would need roommates. Of course, the job in Japan was more appealing. Mind you, if I stayed and worked hard to look for a better job in California I'm sure I would have found one but I already found a good job abroad which was the goal so there we go!
I get to travel. Living in Japan and being a teacher makes it easier for me to travel to other parts of Asia and just other parts in general than if I were to be in California with a regular office job. 
I get more experience in my field of work. Even though my major was East Asian Cultures, if I were to go back for grad school my major would be education. I want to do something in the field of education, whether it's a professor, a study abroad advisor, an academic counselor, or work in a school's office, I just want to work in an educational setting. Whether I go to get my masters is still up in the air, but the fact that I will have some experience within the field of education will definitely be helpful for my possible future career goals. 
 The variety of people I meet. I remember I loved being in Japan because I also loved meeting people from different countries. Not only do you interact with Japanese people but you interact with other foreigners living in Japan or traveling and it's so great to hear about their life stories and how they got to where they are at their lives. I really enjoyed meeting the people I met abroad, and most of my good friends I did not meet in my own country. 
Gain independence. I liked living abroad and doing everything on my own and not relying on anyone other than myself. Was it sometimes difficult and overwhelming? Yes, but overall it was a great experience that definitely helped me grow and overcome several aspects of my life. As I mentioned previously, I have strict parents which makes it hard to spread my wings, as cliche as it sounds. I need space to grow and be my own person, I can't keep doing that with them coddling me and trying micromanage my life. Being in Japan gives me distance that I need to help figure myself out and gives me the space I need to grow.

That pretty much sums most of it. I'm sure there are more reasons, but these are the main ones I can think of. People ask me if I'm going to be in Japan forever, and the answer is: I don't know.

Studying in Japan and working in Japan are two different things, who knows, I might hate it or I might be completely fine with it, or even love it. Or, I might want to travel to somewhere else. Or, I might want to go to grad school. I don't know. So, I'm going to take it one year and a time and enjoy my life.

After all, I'm young and single so I have no obligation to anyone or anything, for the most part. If there is anytime to experiment with your life and figure out what you want, it's now.

No comments :

Post a Comment