Sunday, June 21, 2015

Send me on my way.



Yesterday I had a graduation party. To be honest, I didn't really want one but my mom really wanted one so I just let her throw the party.

We had a taco lady and just played music from my mom's ipod which was a mix of songs that everyone could enjoy. Those famous older songs that everyone knows as well as some Mexican ranchero songs.

The tacos were straight up like from Mexicali. They were so delicious! But that green stuff was not avocado, it was definitely salsa lol. Had to go get guac to mask the spiciness. It was their spiciest salsa haha.

It was pleasantly fun! I was worried I would be inside playing N64 but I got to meet some family I never met before and talk to cousins I haven't seen in forever. It was nice! I also got to talk to my mom's friends and I enjoyed that very much.

I really enjoy talking to older people about their life experience.

I was speaking with my mom's friends Jennifer and her husband. He was in the army and left the army to specifically join highway patrol. He said at that time they didn't want him since he's black. He said they didn't want black, hispanic, nobody unless they were white.

He said that although he did better than majority of the people at the training they didn't accept him so he decided to work extra hard to try again. So he worked for 5 years, working out every day and then he got a callback from someone who didn't understand why he wasn't hired initially and he helped him the whole time.

It was really inspiring. He told me to not give myself limitations and always believe I can do whatever I set my mind to because if you say you're not good at something you are just putting that limitation on yourself.

It was seriously a lovely talk, and it definitely was something I needed. I'm such a Negative Nancy (as my little sister puts it) in order to avoid disappointment. But I am going to try to be more positive. He told me not be afraid of disappointment because it helps us grow. I am honestly grateful for his advice.

I also had fun hanging out with my sister, her bf, bf's sister Cindy, and her friend. It was just so much fun overall.

And as always, they asked the recent grad what were her plans next. I told them that I am saving up to return back to Japan next spring. With the blessing of my family, I am working hard to go back.


I would like to reach out my hand
I may see you, I may tell you to run,
You know what they say about the young

No comments :

Post a Comment