Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dreaming of you.

Selena Quintanilla Perez (1971-1995)

I recently re-watched Selena, a biographical drama on the singer Selena's life and boy, did I forget how much that movie impacted me. I cried a lot at the end of the movie, and it is still hard to not cry every time I heard her song "Dreaming of You."

For those of you who don't know, Selena was a famous Mexican-American singer born and raised in Texas. She was known as the Queen of Tejano music (Texan-Mexican music) and as the "Mexican Madonna." She did not only break barriers as a women but as a minority and managed to have her music be well-known throughout America, not just among Spanish-speakers.

I grew up listening to Selena. I remember being little and constantly playing her cassettes and singing and dancing to them with my younger sister and my family.

I honestly cannot describe how her presence impacted my life, not only as someone I could relate to who also dealt with similar issues as a fellow Mexican-American but also as an inspirational human being who accomplished so much and was so kindhearted, goofy, and genuinely a beautiful person inside and out.

Her music and her as a person, honestly inspires me and makes me have confidence in myself. She also reminds me to not be ashamed of my roots, but to be proud and more importantly, to stay connected to them.

Sadly, Selena was murdered at the age of 23 by someone she was close to and it makes me sad every time I think about it because I know she was meant for so much more. March 31st will be the 20th anniversary of her death.

Rest in Peace Selena, an angel that was taken from us way too soon.


"Right now I have, except for her, everything that I want. But I would give that all up...just to have her back. You know? Because that's how much she means to me. I feel like literally a big half of me died with her. I feel like nothing has filled up that half. I'm just there...empty."
-Chris Perez, Husband of Selena

Interviewer: “When you’re gone how do you want to be remembered?”
Selena: “As, not only as an entertainer but a person who cared a lot, I gave the best that I could. I tried to be the best role model that I possibly could and the best person that I could, I tried to help out.”



"Selena, I'm still dreaming of you."
-Chris Perez

No comments :

Post a Comment